I think we all know that pizza is one of the best things in life. But when you read about it in a cookbook or on the internet, it can seem like a daunting process. Luckily, its actually pretty simple—and once you make your first homemade pizza, youll never want to go back to store-bought crust again.
Before you even think about putting toppings on the pizza, start with a great homemade pizza dough.
Before you even think about putting toppings on the pizza, start with a great homemade pizza dough. This can be as simple as flour, water and yeast, but there are many more advanced recipes out there that incorporate sugar into the mix for extra flavor or other ingredients like olive oil to create a crispier crust. The best part is that its so easy to make: just mix all of the ingredients together in one bowl and let it sit until it doubles in size (Ive never timed my dough-rising process exactly because Im busy doing other things). Then roll out your pizza crust, put some sauce on first if necessary and add whatever toppings you like! There are plenty of different recipes online—just do an internet search for “pizza sauce” or “pizza dough.”
The list of ingredients can be adapted easily to your liking. You can also use different types of cheese such as mozzarella or feta, or even add other things like bacon and olives. Here are some suggestions:
- Homemade Pizza Dough (recipe below)
- Tomato Sauce (recipe below)
- Grated Cheese – Mozzarella, Cheddar, Parmesan etc. (we used Cheddar)
Pizza Tips and Techniques:
- Cook your dough first.
- Use a pizza stone or a pizza pan. If you dont have either of these, try your ovens broiler rack (it may not be as nonstick, but it works in a pinch).
- Use a pizza peel to transfer the cooked dough from the oven to the stone (or place it directly on the rack). If no peel is available, use two spatulas—one under each end of your pizza. Alternatively, you can use tongs if they wont get too hot for handling.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza cutter, cut into pieces once cooled enough not to burn yourself or drop cheese onto yourself and regretting ever making this recipe because who thought putting cheese on their body would be fine anyway?
Homemade Pizza Dough Recipe
Pizza dough is a type of bread dough that can be made into several different types of food. Pizza dough, in particular, can be used to create flatbreads, pies and other baked goods. This type of bread dough is often made with yeast or baking powder as its leavening agent to help it rise and puff up during the cooking process.
While pizza dough is similar to other types of breads in many ways (its delicious!), there are some important differences between them:
- Pizza Dough vs Bread Dough: The main difference between pizza dough and bread dough is that pizza has more moisture than traditional loaf-style breads do. This extra moisture makes it easier for you to shape your pizza into any size or shape you want! You can even make mini pizzas by rolling the crust out into smaller circles or rectangles before topping with sauce, cheese and veggies like mushrooms or bell peppers – everyone will love these bite-sized treats!
- Pizza Dough vs Pasta Dough: Both pasta noodles made from flour starch are quite different from their Italian counterparts because they dont require kneading like traditional pasta does before being cooked – so if time isnt on your side then this option might work better than making homemade ravioli every night after work!”
Homemade Pizza Sauce Recipe
- How to make pizza sauce from scratch:
- Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and onion to the pan, then cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more (do not brown). Stir in the tomatoes with their juices, Calabrian chilies, oregano leaves and red pepper flakes; bring mixture to a simmer over medium-low heat. Cook for 20 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened and reduced by about half; season with salt and pepper if desired. Remove from heat; set aside until ready to use (sauce can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days).
Homemade Mozzarella Cheese Recipe
Making your own mozzarella cheese is easy and cost-effective. It will taste fresher, too. With just four ingredients you can make fresh mozzarella at home in an hour or two.
- 1 gallon whole milk (do not use ultra-pasteurized)
- ¼ cup citric acid powder or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt (or ½ teaspoon table salt)
- ½ teaspoon distilled white vinegar
Make your pizza from scratch, using high-quality ingredients.
How to make pizza from scratch, using high-quality ingredients
A lot of people say that you cant make pizza at home. Theyre wrong. You just need the right tools and ingredients—and some practice! Here are the basics:
- Make sure you have a good rolling pin (a wine bottle will work in a pinch).
- Make sure your dough is well-kneaded and soft enough to roll out easily.
- Use high-quality sauce—sugar content matters here! And dont skimp on toppings like cheese either; buy the best stuff you can afford.
- Get creative with your toppings; theres no rule against putting pineapple or bacon on yours! Just make sure everythings cooked through before baking it off in an oven preheated to 420 degrees Fahrenheit for about 15 minutes total until golden brown on top and bubbling around edges.*
If you’ve never made homemade pizza before, this is your chance to try. It can take a little time and practice to get it perfect, but if you follow our tips and use high-quality ingredients then the results will be worth it. We hope that these recipes have inspired you to make some delicious pizzas of your own!